Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Two days of sunshine and even a couple of smiles

5-19-15

Haley woke up feeling yucky again.  She felt a bit better after she puked.  Today we all packed up and headed south to go to Haley's Dr apt with the naturopath.  We were going to go on a trail walk after her apt.  However, the dr ended up not being there because he was sick.  They tried to call and tell me but they only had my home number.  So we all played freeze tag on the grass next to the clinic.  It was grandma Debbie and myself against Hannah (nanny) and the children.  Josiah and Hannah were little helpers.  They could not be frozen but they could un-freeze the others if they could be coaxed into tagging their hands.  I must say.  Grandma Debbie and I conquered (eventually).  And man was I sore the next day.  (I'm not used to running.)

We ended up going to Costco and eating lunch there.  We headed back up to Seattle after that because we wanted to beat the traffic.  We were going to walk on the trail that was next to the RMH but ended up just hanging out at the park.  There was a dog the kids were playing with.  By the end of the day Haley was feeling a bit better.  It was so nice that Hannah and I took the kids for a walk after dinner (although we didn't actually leave until almost 8 pm...we are so slow!).  We found a park with a playground set on it.  Haley even braved the merry-go-round.  She had a blast!  I was afraid that might make her sick and she would be puking again but she really wanted to try. I figured she was the one that would have to suffer the consequences so I told her to go ahead.

Haley went to bed feeling pretty okay.  However, she woke up around 2 AM needing to rush to the bathroom.  She didn't quite make it and then she needed to puke.  She didn't quite make that into the bucket either.  Bummer!  She did feel a little better after though.  I cleaned up the messes and turned her "feeds" down to just under 2 ounces an hour.  Then back to bed I went!

5-20-15

Haley woke up feeling pretty good.  She wanted to eat.  She hasn't really eaten in a LONG time.  But she was ready to eat.  Unfortunately, we slept in and ran out of time before we had to be at her clinic apt.  I picked up Ashely and Isaac (Elizabeth was already with me) in hopes that Hannah (nanny) could get some studying done while the babies slept.  And we were off to clinic.  This was a tough day.  Although Haley was feeling pretty good.  Mentally it was tough.  The surgeon came in during the apt and talked about Haley's surgery options.  She has three.

1) Amputation (great option for active lifestyle).
2) Internal prostesis (where they remove a significant portion of her femur, knee and a small amount of her tibia and replace it with metal and plastic).  This is not a great option for an active lifestyle. 
3) I can't remember the name of it but it was the most bizarre by far.  They would remove the lower half of her femur, knee and the upper half of her tibia (basically the whole middle part of her leg).  Then they turn what's left of her lower leg backwards and reconnect it to her femur.  Her heal then would serve as her new knee (with her foot pointed the other way).  She would then ware a lower prostetic.  SO STRANGE!!!  I can see the benefits.  But SO STRANGE!!!

Haley doesn't like any of the above options!  Who would?  While she was processing all of that we were off to the next Dr apt with the naturopath where she got hit with another hard blow.  As it turns out Haley has celiac disease (aka gluten intolerance) and a milk allergy.  This was enough to bring my little sweetie to tears.  She LOVES to eat foods that contain gluten and milk.  With everything else that is going on this was just to much!  I told her it was okay to cry.  We did go on a little walk before we headed back to Seattle.

On a brighter note...Haley has gotten her appetite back.  She ate some cantaloupe for lunch and some soup for dinner.  She said it felt so good to eat.  Unfortunately, she goes back to the hospital for chemo tomorrow.  I told her we wouldn't have to check in until the afternoon.  That way she could eat breakfast and lunch before she's admitted.

Even with the heavy blows of today there were times I saw a glimpse of my sassy Haley.  And her beautiful smile!  Thanks for your continued prayer for her protection as we go in for round number three.        

No comments: