Friday, April 24, 2015

The official journey begins

Yesterday Haley got her port put in. The surgery wasn’t until noon (or at least that is when it was scheduled for). Her spirits were up while we waited.  She was relieved to know that they were going to give her gas to put her to sleep before they put the IV in.

being silly
NO MORE PICTURES!!!

She HATES to be poked. She ended up needing to be poked the day before at clinic for a blood draw. But this smart mama (knowing her intense dislike to pokes) had gotten a prescription for the numbing cream. So I had both hands and arms creamed up with the special tape that the hospitals use. Although she didn’t want to admit it, she did not feel a thing! That was nice. Anyway, back to yesterday, because she had the chicken pox three weeks ago her surgery start time was delayed. Finally, a veteran doc came in to take a look at Haley to determine if she may still be contagious. He said she wasn’t so we could go ahead and get started with out having to prep the OR. While we waited I was showing her all the video clips I had on my camera (mostly her baby sister Hannah being very cute). The allowed me to suit up and go back to the OR with her as she fell asleep. My mom was with me since Hans (my hubby) had to work. We waited and waited and waited and finally got word that Haley was in a room. They were supposed to call me so I could be with her after she started waking up. Oops! When we got to the room Haley was quite upset. It took a couple of hours for her to calm down and rest. But by the end of the day she was eating (the food I brought) and drinking and watching movies. She even gave me a little smile when I took her picture. I’ll see if I can’t figure out how to post it. Today she will have her first treatment of chemo. But before they do that they spend two hours giving her a ton of other drugs to help with the side effects of the chemo. I’m going to be talking to the dr about allowing her to use some of the natural things I brought (that so many people have used successfully to combat the nausea and vomiting when doing chemo) instead of so many of the drugs. We shall see how that goes. At the present she is sleeping peaceably. The plan is for Hans (daddy) to come with the camper after work to park in the parking lot.





No comments: